Sunday, April 5, 2020

A letter of good spirits


"Human life is but a series of  footnotes to a vast obscure unfinished masterpiece"- Vladimir Nabokov

This post is an epistolary attempt where a psychologist based out of Mumbai writes a hand-written letter to his wife in US, who is also locked down with their daughter (Ayesha) due to the ongoing corona virus crisis. This letter tries to step a notch ahead in conveying some warm wishes and love in an otherwise technologically communicative world of video-chats and social media.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear love,

I am writing this letter in anticipation that it would bring you lots of hope, happiness and harmony more-so during these eventful days of a pandemic across the globe. I really miss being with you and Ayesha and not being able to travel and this inability to spend the weekend together is a discomfort I try to brush off. While we do catch up on video chats, but you are apprehensive of my helpless uneasiness with technology. Speaking with Ayesha on phone (than in person) becomes so difficult because I feel that on phone, the words lose their lightness and spiritual precision and with her I have to be extra careful as she is so tender and can easily be bruised by any ugly diminutive from my end.

My dear, how have you been? How is your work going? Have you been able to learn the art of taking classes through video conferencing? Here, in Bombay, thanks to lot of good word of mouth about my work, the demand has increased but I have to deny taking up new patients as I am barely managing the existing ones. Also, I am trying to take out lot of time for myself.

On my work front, there is a very interesting coincidence I wish to write to you about. One year back I had a lady patient, I am not sure I would have mentioned to you about her. I should not call her a patient but a girl undergoing a very difficult period in her life. In her work life, she had a boss who micromanaged her and was also less intelligent than her. Everyday she struggled managing and scuffled being managed by him. Even her personal life was chaotic, she tried dating men but then most of them felt threatened by her intelligence and the remaining few ones (she perceived) were too immature for any relationship. During her first therapy session, I could totally perceive the bitterness in her. Living alone with an uncontrolled mind, she had started getting suicidal thoughts. Hence she came to my therapy sessions and it wasn't difficult helping her heal.

Part two of the story goes like this. Six months back, I had another patient: a tall, well-read but a very confused man. He lived with this notion that  no one understood him: neither his parents nor his friends. A very disturbing notion indeed. He wanted to take a path of spirituality away from this mundane and materialistic world. At his parents behest, he had tried his hand at working in corporate sector but  he felt miserable in this otherwise insensitive and insolent world of business. Unable to cope up, he ran away to Rishikesh to be guided by an able guru. To put the further story short, this guru like so many other verbose gurus was a fraud and had put him addicted to psychedelic drugs. His parents finally tracing him in Rishikesh got him back to Bombay. Interestingly, the parents asked me to help and reluctantly I took up this guy's case. This was not an easy case as he was also undergoing a strict drug rehab phase. But like a true champion, this guy came out clean and healed. And also, he has some really good sense of humor which helped him heal.

Now, the interesting part. The girl and the guy are dating each other. The guy called me yesterday just for a chit chat and he informed me about the liaison. The idea that the two of them are in love with each other is so flattering to me. I keep telling these youngsters to ensure humor in life. If you can laugh genuinely, no mental health issue can even touch you.

Anyways, what do you do apart from your work? I am reading some other books of Kahlil Gibran, (apart from the Prophet). I have a client who is a passionate stock-broker and has also left me interested in the stock market and valuations. I have downloaded a copy of Intelligent Investor by Graham Benjamin but then reading books online is so difficult that I am planning to buy it later. In the movies section, I am watching this fabulous Iranian director named Jafar Pananhi. Remind me to tell you about him during our next video call. I am so enamoured of this genius director that I can go on and on. Meanwhile, if it interests you, you can research him online as well.

I guess I have written alot. Do take care of yourself and hoping things get normal soon for us to travel and see each other. I am always there in spirits with you.

See you soon and take good care!
Yours and only yours,
P

0 comments :